Monday, February 20, 2017

Colorful Layers

This art journal spread has many built up layers of color, through paint, sprays and stencils. Then it was detailed/doodled on with markers and stamps. They were quick, simple and fun pages.


Sunday, February 19, 2017

Watercolor bouquet journal spread

I was excited to try my new Mermaid Markers by Jane Davenport. This journal spread was the first go with them. They have a nice rich color, especially for watercolors. They will be a quick and fun tool to use.

Where"s the tequila?

Practice in still life....
Three limes was fun to paint, but I had a tough time getting the paint to stay put. Maybe it was the layers of different types of paints, its not a problem I've seen before.  


In three colors, What's out your backdoor?

This challenge was to express the new year by depicting what was out your backdoor using only three colors, combined with white, black and gray.  We have spectacular sunsets, which I enjoy. So from those examples I used purple, red and yellow with the others to get the variety I wanted. For me this represents leaving behind the past year and the dawn of the new year. Its a chance to reflect, let go and move forward.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Coffee anyone?

For my art journal, Inspiration Wednesday, I went for a simple coffee mug, with a focus on shading and depth. It was a challenge to not get too heavy handed and in some areas I had to go back and lighten or darken to get to where I was happy. It was a surprisingly fun spread to do.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Blue mountains and yellow flowers -abstract landscape


Abstract landscape number 3 was a struggle which I worked through and eventually enjoyed. I painted over most parts and started over, and I learned that's ok. Nobody even knows, or cares.... I had the hang up about not getting it right the first time, or second, or third, etc big deal! I kept going until I got something I'm pretty happy with and had fun doing. 

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Wanderlust fish mosaic


This mosaic was made by designing nine different boards and then sticking them on to the larger backer board. I used cardboard for all the substrates. Which I covered in a collage of different book text, then spread on some paints with a pallette knife and sprayed them with Lindy's sprays. Finally, I designed each tile, then the backer and adhered the tiles.